Workers’ Compensation FAQs

//Workers’ Compensation FAQs

Workers’ Compensation FAQs

Worker’s Comp FAQs

For many families, worker’s compensation is the only thing that allows them to survive after one of the employees of the home becomes injured. It is natural to want to learn more about the program because it often proves vital in keeping entire families fed and sheltered. Below are some frequently asked questions about worker’s compensation.

Q: What is worker’s compensation, and what does it do?

A: Worker’s compensation is an insurance program that your employer pays. If you receive an injury on the job, worker’s compensation may assist or provide the money for your medical, rehabilitation, and income. You receive these benefits until you heal enough to return to your job. Worker’s compensation can pay your dependents a large sum if you die while on the job.

Q: When does my worker’s compensation start covering me?

A: Worker’s compensation begins on your first day of the job.

Q: How can I know if my employer has worker’s compensation?

A: It is illegal for a business owner with more than two workers to not have worker’s compensation. Part-time employees are regularly counted.

Q: When should I report my accident and to who?

A: You should report any workplace accident to your boss immediately. If you do not inform them within thirty days, you can lose your benefits.

Q: How do I know which doctor to go?

A: Your employer is responsible for posting a list of approved medical care providers. A few ways they may notify you are:

Displaying a list of at least six different doctors. The list should include one orthopedic physician and two or less industrial clinics. If possible, it should also include a minority physician. The worker’s compensation board may allow for a business to make an exception to some of the rules if they seem unreasonable for the area of the company. You may choose any one of the physicians on the list.

You employer must give you the name of the worker’s compensation managed care organization that the board your company contracted to supply their business with medical services has certified. Your employer must also give you a notice of the eligible medical service providers, as well as a 24-hour toll-free phone number to the managed care organization.

Q: Who pays for the doctor bills?

A: The company’s worker’s compensation carrier will pay the medical bills for an on the job injury.

Q: What types of medical bills will worker’s compensation cover?

A: All doctor and hospital bills, physical therapy, prescription costs, and necessary travel expenses.

Q: When will I receive my benefits?

A: You will receive weekly income benefits if you are unable to work for seven days or more. Your check should be mailed within 21 days of the first day of work you missed. If you miss over 21 consecutive days, you will receive pay for the first week.

Q: How much will my benefits be?

A: You will receive 2/3 of your average weekly pay, at a maximum or $575.00 a week.

Q: What if I can return to work, but only at a lower paying job?

A: You will receive a reduced benefit of no more than $383.00 for 350 weeks.

Q: How long will I receive my benefits?

A: The amount of time you can draw benefits varies depending on the accident. If the accident was catastrophic, you might receive the benefits for life. Smaller accidents may provide you with benefits for up to 400 weeks. If a medical professional clears you to return to your job, your benefits may be suspended.

Q: What if my catastrophic injury prevents me from getting a new job?

A: If you have suffered a catastrophic injury, you are entitled to receive aid in getting a new job or learning skills for a new job. To receive the support, contact the State Board or Worker’s Compensation at 404-656-0859.

Q: What type of benefits can I receive if my disability is permanent?

A: You will receive weekly benefits depending on the type and extent of your disability.

Q: Can I receive compensation for loss of hearing or sight?

A: Yes

Q: If I die while on the job, what benefits will be given to my dependents?

A: Your dependents may receive weekly benefits equaling 2/3 of your weekly salary, with a maximum of $575.00 a week.

Q: Can I receive social security and worker’s compensation?

A: Yes, but social security may be reduced.

If you have even more questions about workers’ compensation and a work-related injury in Atlanta, we can help. Our worker’s compensation attorneys are some of the best in Atlanta and can help you fight to get the compensation you deserve for your injuries.